Americans, and I’m only referring to Americans because I am one and know for a fact this is true, say the darndest things sometimes! Let’s go over some popular American phrases:
1. You do the math. (never a fan of anything related to math)
2. It’s not rocket science. (“ ” science)
3. To be completely honest… (oh ok…well I was assuming you were going to lie to me, so thanks for clearing that up…)
4. Bad news bears. (great movie, but a necessary phrase it is not)
5. It’s five o’clock somewhere! (ok this is a true statement, but we alllll know that this is just a phrase people use as an excuse to do what they want. I may or may not have uttered said phrase once or twice, but that was when I was young and naïve…)
Ladies and Gentlemen, drum roll please for the top American phrase and the reason we are celebrating today, April 17.
6. BLAH BLAH BLAH!
Yes, that’s right people. Today is Blah Blah Blah day! The perfect and most appropriate of all days to use this gem of a phrase!
Blah is the perfect word to use when you are not sure of how you are feeling about a certain topic. Blah is actually one of those strange words that has no actual meaning, yet it is still quite popular in our society. When using “blah” in a Google Search, 3.25 million results come up. That’s a lot of blah. It’s probably so popular because Americans love to talk, thus including a word in their speech, which has no actual meaning, allows them to increase their rate of verbage.
Blah Blah Blah can be used to express a multitude of emotions:
“I just got a D- on my Organic Chemistry final. I’m gonna fail the class. Blah.”
-from no one in particular, but probably said by many students
“I think people talk too much anyway. Sometimes people are talking to me and in my mind I’m just like “shut up, shut up, shut up…blah blah blah blah blaaaaah.”
“Oh wow. I cannot believe Lindsay Lohan is wearing that. Her skirt is so blahhh!”
-once again, not from anyone in particular, but I can imagine Perez Hilton saying it
“I just don’t think I’m that interesting. I don’t think what I have to say is that interesting. To hear me go blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. I mean, who… cares?”
“Blah! I have 5 papers due for one class in two weeks. Blah!”
-can be heard by students everywhere
So, dear readers, I urge you to celebrate this great day by using the word BLAH in as many ways as you can. The person who uses this phrase the most today will win the greatest prize given away in the history of prizes! Good luck with your blah endeavors!
Best Holiday wishes!
Disclaimer: No prize will actually be given out. It’s a joke, people.